a code for reporting
marine turtle sightings in the UK
Thank you for using the UK Turtle Code website!
We welcome any enquiries or feedback regarding this site, the Code and marine turtles, and look forward to hearing from you.
The UK Turtle Code is an initiative of the Marine Turtle Implementation Group (TIG), a consortium of organisations whose mandate is the implementation of the MARINE TURTLES GROUPED SPECIES ACTION PLAN. The partner organisations are listed at the bottom of this page.
Find out more about TIG
Secretariat for TIG is provided by the Marine Conservation Society (MCS). If you wish to report a turtle sighting or stranding, click here to go to the Reporting page. Otherwise, please use the form below:
The Marine Turtle Species Action Plan Implementation Group is responsible for providing direction and advice for the development and implementation of the Marine Turtles Grouped Species Action Plan.
· Implementation of the Marine Turtles Grouped Species Action Plan
· Significant reduction in accidental harm and bycatch of marine turtles in UK waters with special emphasis on the leatherback turtle
· Improved understanding of leatherback migratory ecology in the North East Atlantic
· International conservation measures which effectively prevent damage to turtle nesting beaches and feeding grounds by Britons in the UK and abroad and in the overseas territories
· International conservation measures which protect turtle species from illegal trade
· Significant reduction in marine pollutants harmful to turtles, in particular, marine litter
· Maximisation of public awareness of and participation in marine turtle conservation
· Maximisation of live releases and rehabilitation of accidentally caught and stranded turtles